Give Santa a Gluten-Free treat this year with these delicious sugar cookies!
Coconut sugar is subtly sweet almost like brown sugar but with a slight hint of caramel. However, since coconut sugar is not highly processed, the color, sweetness and flavor can vary depending on the coconut species used, season when it was harvested, where it was harvested and/or the way the “sap” or “toddy” was reduced.
Coconut sugar provides 16 calories per teaspoon and contains relatively low content of essential nutrients, with the exception of potassium at about 25% of the Daily Value per serving of 100 grams (approximately 25 teaspoons).
Sara's Great Aunt Ginny's Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup Shortening Preferably organic
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup Organic raw sugar
- 2 whole Eggs Unbeaten
- 2 cups Sifted Bob's One to One Gluten-Free Flour (found at Sprouts)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Milk or Coconut Milk
- Preheat oven to 360°F
- Combine shortening, salt, lemon rind, lemon juice, nutmeg, sugar and eggs and beat together until smooth
- Sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda together. Add to shortening mixture, blend, then add milk and mix again
- Drop level tablespoons of dough on greased baking sheets. Flatten cookies by stamping with the bottom of a flat glass (cover glass with light cloth and dampen, hold on glass with rubber band) Sprinkle with Raw organic sugar or colored sugar
- Bake at 360°F for 10 - 12 minutes